A Bona Fide Academic Requirement1
- Is a component of an academic program, which is determined to be an essential course, skill, experience, item of knowledge, or outcome for the program that, in the reasonable view of the unit, cannot be waived without fatal consequences for the academic integrity of the program.
- Must be taught and assessed within a program of study.
- Senate has mandated that BFARs be developed for all programs at the University of Manitoba.
- A BFAR CAN be accommodated (unless otherwise stated) so long as the accommodation does not result in the compromise of a BFAR.
- BFAR can NEVER be waived or substituted.2