Frequently Asked Questions

Who takes online courses at the University of Manitoba?

The majority of students enrolled in online courses are employed and have previous university experience. What defines successful students, however, is that as a group, they are highly motivated. Those who succeed are committed students who have the discipline to establish a regular study schedule and adhere to it without having to be reminded to meet deadlines by an instructor or classmates.

Can I take online courses if I am an on-campus student?

Yes. Many University of Manitoba on-campus students enroll in distance education courses in order to make their schedules more flexible, to continue to study year-round, or to address their preferences for more independence in how, where, or when they learn.

Am I able to get a degree from the U of M by taking online courses?

Yes. You can complete a Bachelor of Arts in several different disciplines, a Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies (B.A.I.S), a Bachelor of Arts in Geography, a Bachelor of Social Work, or a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Education. Whether registered as a student in University 1 or any other faculty, you can complete courses toward a variety of programs by distance and online delivery.

What do online courses have to offer?
  • Course materials containing an outline and schedule, instructional material, learning activities, and assignments
  • Access to reference materials through Off-Campus Library Services either on the web, by e-mail, fax, or in-person
  • Group discussions using web conferencing; online discussion groups, chat, and email; or in person at learning centres around the province

How do I register for a course?

Course registration and other registration activities are completed by using Aurora Student which is the UM registration system. Please refer to Registration for further information.

Do I have the technology required to access online courses?

The technologies required vary depending on the course. A high speed Internet connection is necessary for courses that have web conferences and streaming videos, and certain software is necessary to view digitized files.

How do I obtain my textbooks and course materials?

It is your responsibility to obtain all required textbooks. You can order your textbooks online or contact the UM Book Store at 204-474-7961 (Canada toll free at 1-888-216-7011 ext. 7961). Please ensure that you purchase correct editions if you plan to acquire used textbooks.

How much do the courses cost?

Contact the Registrar's Office for more information about course costs.

You will need to purchase any required textbooks, audio/video materials, and reading packages, separately, from the U of M Book Store.

What is included in a course website?

The course website allows you to read and/or download course materials, submit assignments, interact with other students and check assignment grades. You will access your course using UM Learn, the universities learning management system.

When will my course be available?

Courses will be available at the start of the term.  If you register during the late registration/revision period, you will be able to access your course 24 hours after registering. If you have questions, please contact

How do I submit my assignments?

Unless specific instructions are outlined on the course website or your instructor's letter of introduction, assignments must be submitted online. Assignment due dates are indicated in your course material. You can confirm that your assignments were received and check your assignment grades using your course website.

Will I have to come to the U of M campus to write exams?

Check the Exams page for detailed information on writing exams.

Do I have to be available during the day for my exams?

Final examinations are scheduled during the day and in the evenings. Please refer to the exam schedule approximately eight weeks prior to the start of the exam period for the date and time of your exam. Students must be available during the entire examination period until all examinations and test obligations have been completed.

What do I do if my mailing address changes?

You will need to use Aurora Student to change your address.

Who do I contact regarding academic or administrative matters?
For academic matters contact your course instructor of the parent department for you course. For registration related administrative matters contact the Registrar’s Office.