Description of teaching mentor role:
The teaching mentor role is a vital component of our competency-based Teaching and Learning Certificate Program (TLCP) and is an important part of our work to foster a teaching community. Teaching mentors will provide support and evaluate the faculty members who are part of the two year TLCP. The teaching mentor will meet with the candidate on a regular basis (approximately 1 hour per week), evaluate and assess the teaching dossier, give verbal and written feedback, provide competency evaluation, and provide classroom diagnostic evaluation and support.
- Three classroom evaluations and diagnostic feedback
- Three competency/dossier meetings per academic year
- Prearranged/scheduled dossier checks to measure competency
- Summative, written, evaluation of teaching dossier and competencies
- Written and verbal feedback of classroom audits
- Flexible availability to support faculty member
- Liaise with program coordinator
- Attend community building social events
- Attend a 1 day mini-institute (August 23, 2017) (Please note that attendance at the institute is essential)
The ideal candidate should:
- Possess a strong grounding in pedagogy i.e. university teaching experience (10+ years teaching), or a B. Ed. and some university teaching experience, or have been recognized with a University wide teaching award (Stanton, Saunderson)
- Have a commitment to quality teaching and a desire to share teaching experience and knowledge
- Be in a continuing or tenured position at the university
- Possess an understanding of the University of Manitoba working landscape
- Be able to maintain the role of mentor for two years or through to the completion of the candidate's program (no more than three years)
If interested, please provide:
- A letter of interest (a one page statement of why you would like to be a mentor)
- A written letter of support from the Dean or Associate Dean or Department Head or Colleague of your faculty attesting to your teaching experience
Send to Colleen Webb (email@example.com) by Monday, May 8, 2017.
You will be contacted by Monday, May 15, 2017.